Hello!
This is a topic that I've really wanted to talk about so here I go...
At 38 cousins (30 first cousins, 8 first once replaced/removed-you get the picture) my family would definitely not be labeled a small family. All I have ever known is large families, my mum is the youngest of five and my dad is the second youngest of four. Since there were pretty lengthy age gaps between the siblings, this meant that things became complicated.
With 18 years between my mum and her eldest brother this meant that by the age of 3 my mum was already an Aunty to my eldest cousin Michelle, from there on there was a baby explosion on both sides of my family. I actually just worked out there have been atleast four 'teen pregnancies' in my family (not drastic, they were all atleast 17/18) this meant by the time I came into the world, not only did I have cousins around 30 years older than me, but they also already had children of their own.
To avoid serious confusion and difficult explanation , my mum and dad decided it would be best to just make me call the ones who had children Aunty/uncle and treats their children as if first cousins. So when I was about 6-7 I found out my life was a lie and rather than having many aunties/uncles, I actually had loads of cousins.
I think the main problem to this Mullen/Burke epidemic was that people in my family just adore babies. My dads sister for example, she loved children so much she had 10. Apparently after I was born I was really cute (surprise) and when she came to see me for the first time, everyone could see the 'love', she already had 8 children at this stage, however upon being charmed by my looks, just over nine months later my cousin Asya was born.
As much as I'm making it all seem lovely and dreamy to have such a big family, it does have its faults. Infact, I envy those who can name all their cousins on one hand.
Being a big family means that you don't see each other all at the same time often as your nan's house might fall apart. I actually don't think I've ever had a family Christmas dinner (with anyone other than my own mum, dad etc of course). It was only at my great aunty's funeral not too long ago that we realised what a shame it is that we only come together when it's something like that.
I think that Christmas is actually the biggest problem, as if we bought a present for everyone we would be really strapped for cash. So we came up with a formula that the age 15 is the cut off point for presents, Easter eggs etc (still get cards obvs)...I'm 15 in January, I feel like sleeping beauty when she is going to get pricked on her 16th b'day.
I've also never been on a family holiday, however I am going on one for the very first time this summer! But even then there will be 10 of us all together in 1 villa (eek)
Anyway, I've kind of rambled on here, but I guess the point I've been trying to say is even though we don't see each other as much as we should. I love my family very much and don't know where I would be without them (ew, pre xfactor audition interview much?)
No comments:
Post a Comment